The Women’s Equality Agenda is a ground breaking, 10-point plan, introduced by Governor Cuomo during his 2013 State of the State address. It is designed to break down barriers faced by New York women in many areas of their lives.
- Achieve pay equity.
- Stop sexual harassment in all workplaces.
- Allow for the recovery of attorney’s fees in employment and credit and lending.
- Strengthen human trafficking laws.
- End family status discrimination.
- Stop source-of-income discrimination.
- Stop housing discrimination for victims of domestic violence.
- Stop pregnancy discrimination once and for all.
- Protect victims of domestic violence by strengthening order-of-protection laws.
- Protect reproductive health decisions.
The New York Women’s Equality Coalition
The New York Women’s Equality Coalition’s new television ad lets the statistics speak for themselves. It’s time for a more fair and equal New York.
Who supports WEA?
A recent Siena Poll shows overwhelming support for updating New York State law to protect women’s reproductive health decisions. The poll found that 80 percent of New Yorker voters agree that New York should enact a law “protecting reproductive freedom for women, ensuring a woman’s right to make private health care decisions regarding pregnancy.” This support for making New York law consistent with Roe v. Wade and current medical practice in the state demonstrates increased public support now that the Governor has made the proposal part of his Women’s Equality Agenda.
What can you do to get out the word? TAKE ACTION!
- Tell your lawmaker that now is the time to level the playing field for women
- Let your lawmaker know that you are part of the 80% of New Yorkers who support updating reproductive health laws.
- Sign our petition in support of the Women’s Equality Agenda
- Thank Governor Cuomo for pushing for passage of the Women’s Equality Agenda this legislative session.
- Get out the word on social media and tell your friends and followers to follow the New York Women’s Equality Coalition at NY Women’s Equality on Facebook and @NY4Women on Twitter.
WEA in the News: Recent articles about the Women’s Equality Agenda
A to-do list for New York lawmakers, Governor Andrew Cuomo
Cuomo’s plan helps all women, Laurel Eisner
Women’s Equality Agenda allows doctors to be doctors, Anne Davis, M.D.
Keep religion out of choice decision, Rabbi Dennis Ross
Women’s Equality Agenda has much religious support, Rev. Dan Schifeling
Don’t let religion influence our laws
Facts of women’s health act, Mylan Denerstein, counsel to Governor Cuomo